1855Llanion Hut camp.1859-1862 France launches her first ironclad warship, La Gloire. Armoured vessels used in American CivilWar.1861HMS Warrior completed, theRoyal Navy's first ironclad.1862HMS Prince Consort launched, Pembroke Dockyard's first ironclad screw ship.1864Pembroke andTenby Railway reaches Pembroke Dock. In 1866 the line links with Whitland.1865Cholera epidemic inPennar1870"Forster's Education Act" introduces boardschools. Pennar, Albion Square andLlanion schools follow.1874Sir Edward Reed, chairmanof Milford Haven Shipbuilding ... Co., elected MP for Pembroke Boroughs.1877Japanese corvette Hi Yei launched at Jacob's Pill private yard.1882-1888 Battleships Edinburgh, Collingwood, Howe, Anson, constructed inRoyal Dockyard.1888Local Government Act-Pembrokeshire County Council follows.PembrokeDock to elect County Councillors.1889Welsh IntermediateEducation Act permits County Councils toestablish secondary schools, eg .Pembroke Dock County Intermediate School (1895-9).1891-1896 Battleships Empress of India, Repulse, Renown, Hannibal, constructed in Royal Dockyard. 1897-1899 Meyrick Wards.c1901Carr Jetty. It is now possible to installships' engines & heavy equipment within the Dockyard. 1901-1907 Armoured (heavy) cruisers Drake, Essex, Cornwall, Dukeof Edinburgh, Warrior, Defence constructed in Royal Dockyard.1902 Balfour Education Act" abolishes school boards. Borough & County Council education committees now responsible forelementary & secondary schools.c1903Llanion Barracks (brick).1905Town water supply is complete, with reservoirs & street hydrants. Drainage scheme,begun 1900, under way.1906HMS Dreadnought launched, the standard for future battleships. PembrokeDockyard lacks capacity to constructsuch vessels.1908-1912 Scout cruisers Boadicea, Bellona, Blanche, Bolnde, Active, Amphion, Fearless constructed in Royal Dockyard.
1914PembrokeDock's centenary: Albion Square lamp standard commemorates, andgiant Procession celebrates, the town's first hundred years.1914-1918Worldwar I. Dockyard builds light cruisers, submarines & tanker, with larger workforce. War may have postponed closure. Bush Campmakes PembrokeDock an even larger Army depot, with more than4000 soldiers intown. 1926Against a background ofnational economic depression, in the year of the General Strike. Cosure of Pembroke Dockyard brings mass unemployment. Many craftsmen seek workelsewhere. 1930RAF Pembroke Dock established.Biplane flying boats arrive.1939-1945 WorldWar II. RAF Pembroke Dock becomes world's largest operational flying boat base. Sunderland &Catalina flying boats seek out enemy submarines.1940-1941 Air raids. Enemy bombers ignite Pennar oil tanks, & bring massive destruction to the town. 1944Education act plans reshaped secondary education, particularly grammar and secondary modern schools-shortlyafter which ... County Intermediate School becomes Pembroke Grammar School, and Coronation school becomes "secondary modern" school.1945Post war developments include ... -Council housing,Pennar & Bush estates.Factories at Kingswood, later alongFerry Lane.Marine industries in Dockyard,particularly R.S. Hayes group ofcompanies.1949-c.1955Dock Leaves, arts magazine, published fromPembroke Dock.1955-7 Pater Hall built on site of bombed Temperance Hall.1959Rundown & closure of RAFPembrokeDock.1967Last regiment leaves Llanion Barracks.1971Development of larger oiltankers, for which Milford Haven is an ideal harbour.Boom in building oil refineries & heavy industry along MilfordHaven. This brings work & prosperity for PembrokeDock.1971Sunderland ML824 exhibited next tomotor museum in Dockyard. The aircraft is now at RAF Hendon.
1973Secondary education reorganizedPembrokeGrammar School and Coronationsecondary modern merge into Pembroke Comprehensive School.1974Local government reorganization.Endof Pembroke Borough Council.Many functions are takenover by South Pembrokeshires District Council, with office at the oldLlanion Barracks-until further changesestablish a newPembrokeshire County Council, 1996. 1975Haven Bridge opensbringing the endof the Hobbs'Point to Neyland ferry service.1979-Irish ferry terminal inDockyard20th c. Developments include:-Port of Pembroke in Dockyard-Supermarkets in LondonRoad area -Co-op, Lidl, Tesco, Kwiksave. -New libraryon reclaimed land. Pembroke power station closes after much debate onpollution& orimulsionfuel.-Call centre opens next to bridge.-Golf course onBarrack Hill.-Housing onoldPennar Barracks site.1986The new Pembroke Dock Town Council takes office.2001Gun tower museumopens, presentingPembrokeDock's shipbuilding and military history.2006August 8th The Captain Superintendents house , an imposing residence adjoining the dockyard gate and lately the Commodore Hotel was gutted by fire in the early hours