DIMOND STREET This was to honour the work of Charles Palmer Dimond who was a London Solicitor and a Trustee of the Bush Estate. Therefore you will notice that the first fifteen houses as mentioned above are on the south side of the street, and they will have two numbers, for instance Humber’s shop which is known as ‘Humber’s Corner’ will have No.1 but following the Councils decision in 1906 its new number became No.50 and so on. This photo was taken on Dimond Street East near the junction with Water Street to the right and Law Street to the left, in its life this junction has had two names; Humber’s Corner and Star Corner, and it appears to depend when you were born which name you will use. It would appear that the line for this new road was taken from the line of the Admiralty House’s, therefore our journey starts at the north east side as decided by Council in 1906. The dates of some of those who lived or worked on this street, is still being researched, the street was not completely built up until after the First World War. No.53 W. Llewellyn & Co was trading as a Builders Merchant and had an office next to the Railway Station, with a yard for coal & anthracite on Front Street, complete with a showroom on Dimond Street East. No.52 Slater’s Directory for 1870 lists the Railway Public House in Dimond Street East, the licensee was Sarah Davies. In the 1884 Directory it was listed as The Railway Hotel at No. 2, The Railway Hotel (formerly the Adelphi) Gwyther Street North, the licensee at that time was Henry Elliot. The reason the Railway appears to have moved into another street is because in 1870 the public entrance was on Dimond Street East but in 1884 it was on Gwyther Street North. The Railway Hotel (formerly the Adelphi) was destroyed by fire in October 1914 and remained derelict and roofless until 1941 when it was further damaged during the air raid on the 12th May. It was finally demolished in 1944. Mr John George Page was the licensee up to about 1901 (C.J. Page’s Wine and Spirit Vaults) followed by his wife Mrs Mary Page. There is only one known photograph of the premises. On this site now is a bungalow which was first a Doctors Surgery and now (2008) is the Aurora Health Centre. No.51 Dimond Street East the Prince of Wales Public House was registered in Slater’s Directory list for 1870 to 1901 in Laws Street. The list for 1914 to 1926 puts the Prince of Wales back in Dimond Street. The change of street comes about when the public entrance faces into another road. No.52 Mr Ted Garner retailing in men’s suits and ancillaries, as yet it is not known when he arrived nor when he closed. In 2001/2 it was used as an office, and in 2003 it became a three bedroom house, in July 2009 it was vacant. No.1 (now) No.50 – No1 was the first house to be built between Hawkestone Road and Front Street (Brewery Street) The earlier years are yet to be researched, but we know that Cowtans Music Shop was trading in grand piano’s, organs, brass and silver instruments. He was followed by Mrs G.M. Humber who bought the building, her husband Ted Humber then opened a grocery shop here. At some stage Douglas Burton rented the building and opened a Dress Shop. This was followed by Mr Crawshaw who was selling stationary and newspapers. ‘Crazy but True Furniture’ traded here for a period, but the building was destroyed by Fire in 2007, the land was cleared and has now lain empty throughout 2008. No.49 Dimond Street East ‘The Three Tuns’ public house appeared in Slater’s Directory for 1870, the licensee was Ann Scurlock who lived in the apartment over the pub. No.2 (now) No.48 the early years are yet to be researched, it is not known when Mr Howard Rollings moved in but he was a stationary and newspaper seller, and was in close competition with G.M. Humber. The competition between them raised a few eye brows as each morning about 0945hrs you would see Humber in his Model ‘T’ and Rollings on his 8hp Harley Davidson going to Hobbs Point to collect their respective newspapers. They would race back into town and on turning into Dimond Street they would throw their papers for their respective shops onto the pavement and continue the race to the Dockyard gate, the first one to reach the gate would be selling the bulk of there papers to the workmen, who were not allowed to leave the yard for their lunch break. Later Jack Humber was shown as retailing Papers and a Toy shop from No.48. Today the shop has been bought by South West Associates Insurance. No.47 Mrs Mays Grocery and Sweet Shop were followed by Mays Travel Agency and finally the Shop-a-cheque Company. No.3 (now) No.46 the early years are yet to be researched, but in 1909 WM & HY Bowling had both a chemist shop and dental surgery. They also traded in false teeth; apparently he was also the first in town to install and generate electric lighting. Following him was Mrs Hall who had a gown shop. The building was later bought by Jack Humber for his home, and he was followed by the Pembrokeshire County Council Careers Centre. In 2008 ‘Johns’ Furniture is trading here. However with a recession take a grip in March 2009 John is closing. No.4 (now) No.44 In 1942 No.44 was occupied by Mr Percy Rees had a drapery shop here, he apparently set high standards for himself and his staff of elegant young ladies, he was also the first to have an aerial cash carrier which Miss Poly Morgan use to collect payment and return any change required. Next Mr Freeman nicknamed ‘Bunky’ who was a tailor who earned his nickname from encouraging the “Docks” soccer team, although for myself I cannot see where ‘Bunky’ and ‘Docks’ come together, perhaps it’s because I was born in Somerset. Any way he later moved to Pembroke. He was followed by Victor Humber who set up a Ladies Hair Salon and in 2008 D&D Discounts store took the building. No.43 in the early years, papers were sold here, it was also a toy shop. Later Ted Gardner had a Gentleman’s outfitter here and he was followed by a Furniture shop and finally Rembrandts the Jeweller. No.05 (now) No.42 the early years are yet to be researched. It is not yet known if Thomas Frazer & Son (Draper) was the next to occupy these premises, but he was followed by Backhouse musical shop who took residence around 1909 followed by Mrs Polly & Annie Jenkins Fruiter & Florists, they also made wreaths. In 2007 it became the ‘Callamanga’ Flower Shop under new management. No.41 was a private house, but later became an Electrical Showroom. No.6 (now) No.40 the early years are yet to be researched. At some stage the house at the rear was occupied by Mr & Mrs Charles. While Mr Gibby had a barber shop at this number and he also had a bathroom where for a penny the men could take a bath on Fridays. Mr J. Tucker had a Tobacconists Shop all that was best in tobacco such as Westward Ho, Leathery Fox, Archers' Golden Returns, Franklyn's and Ringers’ Shagg etc. These are only a few of the old tobaccos first sold and still going strong including Copes Golden Cloud and Biggs Old York. All of these were good tobaccos even 90 years ago. He also had a hairdresser which was at the front of the shop, further more he also played a great part in the affairs of town, he was followed in 1935 by Mr Travers who had a grocery business, in 1990 Mr Lloyd James, who trades as Lloyds the Jeweller bought the building. No.39 the Alexandria was built in 1870 and the Licensee at that time was W. Page, in Kelly’s Directory for 1891 it shows the ‘Alex’ in Water Street, but in 1914 it list’s it back in Dimond Street at which time it became the Alexandria Vaults, The Licensee at that time was Mrs Elizabeth Vittle. Today ‘2008’ it is apartments with a Beautician parlour on the ground floor. In February 2009 application was made for change of use to offices. No.7 (now) No.38 the early years are yet to be researched, but we know that in 1926 Thomas Frazer & Son (Draper) occupied these premises. This was followed by, Percy Reece selling Haberdashery. The occupiers in 1939 were Emily Frazer, Arthur Eber Cox, Gwendoline Cox and Frederick Owen Jenkins. Next to occupy No.38 was R.M. Collins Est. 1971 retailing school wear (see Laws St) and was followed in 2005 by the Aegis Insurance Company. No.37 the early years are yet to be researched, we do know that the Leek and Westbourne Building Society having been established since 1856 traded from this place, the Manager was J.R. Williams. In 1868 the photographer William Trindale was trading from here, William his son (born 1881) took on the business and in 1891 a Mrs Sarah Ann Middleton was working from here, but by 1901 she had disappeared, the next to trade from here was Davies the outfitters followed by the Pembroke Dock Permanent Benefit Building Society which later merged with the Britannia Building Society. No.8 (now) No.36 the early years are yet to be researched. Mr Joseph, Bakers & confectioners, who had a bake house behind the shop. And from 1920 J.W. Hammond & Co. Ltd. used the premises as a printers shop. Mr Woodhouse the Confectioner and Tobacconist used the shop, and at some stage Percy Reece Haberdashery had the shop followed by Hunts the Baker who gave way to Palmers Shoes. Today the Rebus Hair Salon occupies the building. No.35 Mr Elliot traded here, but as yet it is not known what he was selling. Lloyds Bank arrived 1910 and in the 1960’s following the buy out of the Trustees Saving Bank it became Lloyds TSB. Note the picture on page 19, the building with the bay window, this is now Lloyds Bank; but as you can see it was previously an apartment over a shop. No.9 (now) No.34 the early years are yet to be researched, but in 1939 it was occupied by Harry William and Margaret Jane Claxton. Followed by a dentist! Then came Mr Johnson ‘The Book Maker’ who was succeeded by Corals the Turf Accountant; in August 2008 a start was made to the building for conversion to two Flats, but to date May 2009 it has not been finished. No.33 the Mechanics Institute; seen above and behind the horse and cart, was built by the Admiralty and used as a place of learning for Dockyard Workers. The Birth of the Pembrokeshire Labour Party was in this building as was the County Library, while the Magistrates Court were on the first floor. Mr Grenville Davies’ Estate Agency moved into the ground floor room when the Library closed. Mechanics’ Institute was a handsome building. Its foundation stone was laid 27th June 1862, by Mrs. Ramsay, wife of Captain George Ramsay (now Earl of Dalhousie), R N., C. R., superintendent of Her Majesty's Dockyard, and one of the patrons of the above named institution. The site was liberally granted by T. O. Meyrick, Esq., for the term of 99 years, at the nominal rent of half-a-crown, per annum. It possessed a fine reading room, which is amply supplied with all the daily and weekly newspapers, periodicals, etc.; and was open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. The Library contained 3,500 volumes; which children in the Coronation School made use of, and there was a small museum in connection with it. Members would pay sixpence per month for the numerous advantages which this excellent institution offered. Note - Thomas Durbar Harries was born in Pembroke c1818 and lived with his wife Elizabeth at the Mechanic’s Institute. Living with them in 1881 were their two sons, Thomas M.M. Harris who was a carpenter and shipwright and Edgecumbe D. Harris who was a printer. This building is now in the ownership of the Pembroke Dock Museum Trust. No.10 (now) No.32 the early years are yet to be researched, but in 1926 the building was occupied by Frederick J. Jenkins who was a boot and shoe repairer, in 2006 ‘Select’ a woman’s clothing shop took it over. Today it is a Kabab House. No.31 the early years are yet to be researched. Prior to 1959 this was a private house owned and lived in by Mr Kenneth McAlpine the former Borough Surveyor and was bought up by the Midlands Bank in 1959. This is now known as the HSBC. No.11 (now) No.30 the early years are yet to be researched. At some stage Charles and William Joseph lived here, he also had a bakery at No 13 Laws Street but he appears to have died before 1881and his widow, Elizabeth carried on the business as Elizabeth Joseph and Sons from the same address. In the 1881 census she is shown as having four children; Charles aged 21, William aged 19, Elizabeth aged 16years and Minnie aged 12 years. All except the youngest were employed as confectioners and sugar boilers in the business. By 1901 they were trading at both No.24 and 30 Dimond Street. In 1914 they were also at No29, and in 1926 they were still trading from No.30. At some stage Modes Ladies Fashions moved into the premises, they were followed by Western Arts now (2008) a Kebab House. No.29 at some stage Tracy’s Iron Mongers shop traded from here; latterly it was the Pharmacy of Griffiths the chemists Ltd, retailing among other items toiletries by, Helena Rubenstein and Elizabeth Arden Griffiths the Chemist today Rehorn Entertainments own the building. No.29 The early years are yet to be researched, but according to Frank Owen an estate agent, this building was occupied by ‘Professor Dakota’ a descendant of a Great Indian Chief (did he come here with Buffalo Bill’s rodeo!) when last seen in town he was selling charms for all ailments and he also claimed to be a specialist in foot complaints, and would display in the window the most awful corns and bunions. Until the boot and shoe merchant next door complained that his business was going down hill, at some stage Norman Grieve was trading in Fresh Fish here. Next was J. WALTER EVANS M.P.S. agent for the National Health Service Dispensing, Toilet Requisites, Cameras, Photographic Developing & Printing. He also stocked items by Tweed, Norman Hartnell, Yardley, Max Factor & Goys plus a comprehensive selection of Ports – Sherries – Table & Tonic Wines in Stock. No.27 James Tracy had an Ironmongers shop here, stocking General and Furnishing Ironmonger, Brolac Paints, 100s of colours, Garden Seeds, Prestige Minet Mop, Pressure Cookers and Tala Kitchen Ware. No.12 (now) No.27 records show Johnson the Dyers occupied this double fronted shop followed by Western Arts who later moved to the other side of the street opposite to the corner of Lewis Street, some time later they moved to Queens Street it was from this building that Western Arts dissolved. No.27 was taken on by Mr Philip Tallett trading in Fruit and Vegetable, he in turn was followed by a bakery shop. No.13 (now) No.26 the 1851 Census shows Levi Yerward a builder, with his wife and two children plus Sarah Webber a Mariner’s wife were living here, all of them came from this area. Some time later Josephs the Baker had another branch here. Glovers Garage was the next to occupy this shop and was followed by a Hardware store. Today 2007 Rehorn entertainment occupies it. No.25 the early years are yet to be researched, at some stage Eastman’s the Butcher traded from this house, and he was followed by Gordon the Butcher. No.14 (now) No.24 The Census of 1851 records No.24 as the home of Mr Poyer a Superintendant of Shipwrights and his family occupied this house, his wife Mary had a shop, and as the saying goes, beer and tobacco generally go together the elderly generation in the town bought their tobacco from Miss Poyer’s shop; she had such brands as Red Stamp tobacco which was kept in jars in the window and the snuff was kept in a Bladder or Bleeze. Snuff from Poyer’s bladder and tobacco out of her old Jars seemed to have been a luxury for some folk. We are given to understand that those jars are still in existence (2008), as they were seen in Woodhouse’ tobacco shop, it is not known when Miss Poyer moved. The next family registered here was Mr Walter J.C. Whittaker and Mary his wife, Mary was the daughter of Charles Joseph and there was, for some time a photograph of their shop on display, which came from a printer’s wooden advertising block which was found in the basement of a house in Tremeyrick Street. In 2008 West Wales Properties are trading from here. Around the turn of the century Wright & Co supplied newspapers and periodicals from their premises on Dimond Street but to date I have failed to find their premises, among their cliental was the Liberal Club on Bush Street and the Mechanics institute at 33 Dimond Street and the Military Messes. He was followed in c1906 by a Manufacturing Confectionary (see picture above). No.23 the 1851 Census shows William Hawgood who was a Shipwright, with his wife Martha and their four Children who all came from Dale were living here. It is not yet known when Mr Tom Sullivan and his talking parrot moved in, and I am unable to find evidence of his occupation, but we do know that he ran what appeared to be a Pawn shop. Mr Phillip Tallet previously manager of Woolworths and from Manchester traded in Fruit and Vegetables until he retired. Today the Snowdrop Bakery has this shop. The Temperance Hall (Pater Hall) previously this was No.15, but when the Council renumbered the street in 1906 it was not given a number. Originally built by the Temperance Society in 1845/46, Mr John Hall, an inspector of shipwrights leased the land on which the hall now stands, together with the plot to the west. He planned to build houses on these plots but because of his sympathy with the temperance movement he leased the corner plot to the Society. He also loaned the Society the money to build the hall, where for three pence a year children would be admitted as teetotallers, children who were alcoholics were barred. Mr Leonard was the caretaker of the Hall when it was bombed in 1941. Following a rebuild it was gifted to the town and in 1957 it was named the Pater Community Hall. In the last quarter of 1990’s the Town Clerk Mr Roland Edwards and Ron Watts Hon. Curator Pembroke Dock Museum rediscovered the original stone which prior to the war was built into the wall at the front entrance, the inscription stated; 1872 THIS TABLET WAS ERECTED BY THE TEMPERANCE SOCIETY, AS A TOKEN OF THEIR ESTEEM FOR WILLIAM GRIFFITHS LATE LESSEE OF THIS HALL, AND IN REMEMBRANCE OF HIS ZEAL IN THE TEMPERANCE CAUSE As you previously read William Griffiths was the builder hired by the Admiralty to build the first houses in the street, during alterations in the basement during 2007 it appears that part of the building was constructed on a lime quarry. This picture was handed in by John Rowlands which show three employees of W.T. Rowlands & Son from 53 Queen Street, carrying out some repairs in the Temperance building’s main hall in 1935. From the top are Bill Notting from Carew, Victor Evans from Waterloo and Charles Allen an apprentice from Llanion Cottages In 2014 this plaque was renovated and re-installed in the side of Pater Hall. The ironic thing what was a plaque celebrating the building of a “Temperance Hall” should now be embedded in the new outside wall of the Pater Hall’s newly installed licensed bar No.22 in the Pigot & Co Commercial Directory for 1817 and Kelly’s Directory for 1901 it shows the Burton Brewery at this address which is next door to the Temperance Hall, the licensee was William Price. In the 1851 Census it records Father Oliver Murphy a Catholic Priest had moved in as did James Rice who was a serving soldier with the Royal Artillery and Lucy the Housekeeper. It is also known that at some stage Miss Maud Jenkins bought it and re-opened it as a Quest House, she was followed by Sheens Fresh Fish. About 1932 Mr George Huxtable opened his butchers shop at this number, stating that is was easy to find because it was opposite the Labour Exchange. He later sold it to make way for the Post Office in 1961. Sidney Webb a photographer moved to this street in 1880 and by 1881 he was at the Prince of Wales, Laws Street with his wife Ellen and five children. He seems to have retired from photography before 1891. No.21 the 1851 Census records James Sinnett a 44 year old Shipwright from Dale with his wife Martha and daughter Anne aged one year, living with them was Martha Hodges a farmers wife and Mary Thomas the House Servant. In1861 Lieutenant Andrew Stewart who had married a local girl lived in this house; he was serving with the 101st Royal Bengal (European) Fusiliers which was later re-titled to the Royal Munster Fusiliers. It would appear that one of ‘Eastmans’ shops managed by Mr Trevor Rees was next to occupy this house, a Furniture shop followed them and it is now (2009) occupied by Rembrandts Jewellery. No.20 in 1851 Charles Cozens his wife and two children, plus David Perry who was a Coast Guard Officer and Martha his wife lived here. The next record for this house was the 1881 Census which shows William Webb living here; aged 34 and born in Tenby he was an insurance agent, he was married to Amelia and had three children; Augusta aged 9, Minnie aged 7 and Gertrude aged 3. The next to trade here was Mr Brazington a Grocer who was followed by Idris Loyn the Gentlemen’s outfitter. In 1961 it was demolished to build the Post Office. No.19 in 1851 William Johnston his wife and son lived here, he also had three lodgers, George Rogerson and James Johnston both were apprentices, and 16 year old ‘Lettice’ Rees the Housemaid and Margaret Leigh aged nine. An auction room belonging to William Barr Lawrence appears to be the next occupier, but during the deep depression it became the Labour Exchange, later the exchange moved to the old National School at Victoria Road. No.19 then became a Butcher’s shop kept by Mr J. Thomas & Son and later by Mr Anthony George Tony Huxtable. In 1961 it was demolished to build Woolworths. At the close of 2008 Woolworths has gone into liquidation. No.18 in 1851 Francis Saunders a Greenwich out-pensioner, his wife and two daughters retired to Pembroke Dock. At some stage Mr Moffat moved to this address, he retailed Devonshire cream from his dairy. Following him was the Dix Brothers who also owned number 16, they converted the building into one and sold Radio’s and Televisions. When Mr Dix retired the Clothing Company ‘NOX’ purchased it and three years later sold up (2008). This is a double front shop (No.16 & 18) but at this time (January 2009) it is reverting back into two shops. No.17 in 1851 Lieutenant Richard Haward R.N. on half pay lived here, as did Emma aged 12, 22 year old Elizabeth Voyle and Precilla Thomas aged 82. Mr Dunn a Gents Outfitter and a Military tailor to both the Navy and the Army was the next to live and trade from this house. In 1961 it was demolished to build Woolworths. At the close of 2008 Woolworths has gone into liquidation. No.16 the census for 1851 show this house as empty but at some stage Mrs North of the famous fairground family of that name occupied it. The next recorded occupier was Idris Lloyn who traded in cloths. At some stage Dix Bothers had both shops made into one and carried on selling and repairing Radio’s and Television’s. The Cloths Company ‘NOX’ purchased both No.18 and 16 from where they sold ‘up’ market clothing. This building has changed hands as a double front shop (No.16 & 18) and is presently being converted back to two shops. Work on the conversion started 15th January 2009. No.15 in 1851 Mr John Hall a 60 year old Shipwright and a lodger Silina Williams lived here. It is not sure when Mr Jim Phillips a Gentleman’s Outfitters moved on but we know James Tracy was trading from here as a Furnishing Ironmongery shop with everything from Kitchen Ware to Garden Seeds. The shop was demolished in the 1930’s and rebuilt as a F.W. Woolworth Store. At the close of 2008 Woolworths has gone into liquidation and closed. No.14 in 1851 Thomas Beynon a Blacksmith from Stackpole moved in with his wife Elinor who came from Angle and their three children, it also appears that his Brother William was lodging with them. However early in the year of 1851, a census year, the Admiralty decided to move all the Blacksmiths into one area, which released the house for John Poyer, a Superintendent of Shipwrights and his family of three daughters and a son was occupying this house. Meanwhile the Admiralty had moved all the Blacksmiths working in the Dockyard to a new row of houses on the south bank, and once completed the street was named ‘Blacksmiths Row’, sometime later it renamed to Milton Terrace. No.18 and 19 were demolished in 1957 as a result of Demolition Orders. A new house built across both sites. No. 25 also had a Demolition Order on it in 1958. It is quite possible that Mr Fred Tallett who was a Jeweller and watch maker moved into No.14 when John Poyer and family moved on. What we do know is that the Co-Operative group bought the house from Mr Tallett, along with No.12 in 1957 – They later sold the building to an unknown Company who rented to ‘Smallwood’s who dealt in haberdashery. It is presently (2008/9) empty. No.13 in 1851 John Bolch a joiner and his wife Mary Anne and a lodger named as Eliza Saunders from Barnstable lived in the house. They were followed in 1900 by J. Walter Evans M.P.S. who managed a National Health Service dispensing Toilet Requisites, Cameras, Photographic Developing & Printing plus wines & spirits. It was next occupied in 1926 by W.T. Dunn & Sons (Outfitters) and is now a company called SHOE ZONE. No.12 built in 1845/ In 1851 Robert Saunders a Pembroke Dock man, was an inspector of Shipwrights, his House Servant was Martha Lewis from Carew. And it is not yet known when Jenkins (nicknamed ‘Jinks’) arrived, he was a Boot & Shoe repairer, he also bred dogs. This shop with No 14 was purchased by the Co-Operative Retail Services Ltd and demolished in 1955. The Co-Operative set its Drapery Department on the site but this was closed in 1998. Smallwood’s traded from here for two years, but in July 2008 it was vacant. No.11 in 1857 William Lifton a Shipwright from Milford lived here with his wife Anne from Devonport, was he the brother of James Lifton in No.5 Sharing the house was John Gibbon, who was also a Shipwright, with his wife Anne, both were from Milford, William Lifton (was he related to Lifton at No.5!) and his wife Ann lived here. In 1870 Slater’s Directory show it was a pub named ‘Montague’ but it never appeared again, however in 1880 Slater’s listed the Albert Inn occupying this number, was this the same building with a name change! From 1901 Mr David James Joseph held the licence until some time in 1914. At which time it became the Pembroke County Guardian office. Mr Evans had his printing business there and the press room was run by Mr Idwell Howells and Mr Wilford Davies. The 1953 records show Mr. F.O. Jenkins was trading as a Fruiter. He was followed by H.F. Griffiths the Chemist, and later Lloyds Chemist who are presently trading from here. No.10 in 1851 Mr George Fields a Working Shipwright and his wife Margaret who was a Lodging-house keeper lived in this house, they had a lodger named as William Burdwood who was a Clerk in HM Dockyard, it is not listed when they left. The only Oriental at that time was Yip Bing (Chinese Laundry), in the 1950’s the Monti’s Group purchased the building as an extension to the café. (See No.8) Was sold to Boots the Chemist in 1998 and completely rebuilt as a chemist’s shop. No.9 in 1851 this was the house of William Charles a Shipwright with his wife and three children. It is not known when Mr Danny Jenkins the Cash & Co the shoe shop moved in but the Pembroke Dock Jewellers moved in when Cask & Co moved to Commercial Row, in 1994 Mr Roberts traded in fashionable menswear and dress wear hire service. No.8 1851 John Morris from Hubberstone was a Shipwright living here with his wife and 2 children plus a lodger. The next recorded use of this building was Monti’s Café. In the additions of Kelly’s Directory of South Wales from 1914 to 1926 Rabaiotti Brothers are shown as confectioners at No.8 Dimond Street. In the Western Telegraph ‘Then & Now’ articles by Vernon Scott dated 7th & 14th October 1987 Giovanni and Maria Monti are stated to have opened a Café and ice cream parlour in the summer of 1924 at the same address. It was sold to Boots the Chemist in 1998 and completely rebuilt as a chemist’s shop. No.7 Built in 1851 Alexander Cormack who was a Mariner from Solva lived here with his wife Elizabeth from Llanryan and their three children plus Sarah Griffiths a housemaid from Burton lived here. It is possible that Mr Frazer a draper and outfitter followed on, he was also a lay preacher. Mr Frazer was followed by Collins who arrived from Pembroke Street; he dealt in Radio’s Televisions and Cycles. In 1969 Fine Fare was here where the name changed to Spar who then closed down. It has stood empty for most of 2008. No.6 Built in 1851 Thomas Blake a Shipwright lived here with his wife and 6 children. Mrs Jenkins may have followed on; she had a Sweet Shop here and was followed by an Optician then ‘Motor World’ car spare parts followed by The Kitchen Ware shop. No.5 built in 1845/ James Lifton a joiner from Milford and his wife and four children lived here in 1851. Possibly followed by Mr Tomas the butcher and his family, who were followed by Huxtable the Butcher and finally in 1969 Fine Fair/Spar had the shop. No.4 built in 1845/ in 1851 William F. Williams a Joiner, his wife Sarah and their five Children all lived in this house in that year. In 1901 George Gwyther’s Tailors workshop and dwelling was followed by a firm of opticians. Who in turn were followed by Claxton’s Sweets followed in turn by Woodhouse Tobacconist then, The Coffee Pot café? No.3 built in 1845/ Mr Isaac Stephens a Shipwright from Ilfracombe was occupying this house in 1851. Mrs Tailor traded in Ironmongery had no connection with Taylor the Ironmongers on Lewis and Bush Street, she was followed by Dorina’s baby wear shop with a flat over, and this was followed by Spec Savers. No.2 built in 1845/ William Sicome an Inspector of Shipwrights with his wife Rebecca and sons John and George lived here in 1851, both William and Rebecca came from Stoke in Devon, while their sons were born in Pembroke Dock. It appears that the next to occupy this house was Smith & Sons who relocated from Bush Street, now (2008) Clintons Cards. No.1 built in 1845/ in 1851 William Scourlock, born in Staynton and was a Shipwright in the Dockyard with his wife Elizabeth who was born in Walwyn’s Castle lived here for an unknown period. At some stage the London Provincial Bank took this building, which was followed by Barclays Bank. The building did not stop there because a few years later it was decided to join up with the houses which were first constructed (Dimond Street) and this road was named;
The History of Pembroke Dock est.1814

Pater to Pembroke Dock

(Amendment, updates and additions) (AJ) Anndra Johnstone
This site is designed, published and hosted by CatsWebCom Community Services © 2018 part of Pembroke Dock Web Project
60 Pictures from Ron Watts book Pater to Pembroke Dock